Information We Collect And How We Use Information
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, such as your name, address, telephone number or email address. Categories of personal information we collect can include:
- Information you provide to us directly. Viking collects personally identifiable information on the Service when you interact with us, such as when you book travel with us, register for an account, respond to an inquiry, request more information, or login to select a gift. The personal information we collect may include such information as your user name, name, mailing address, business address, telephone number, business telephone number, and email address. Fields in which we collect such required information are marked with an asterisk (*). We also may ask you for your date of birth and information about your interests so that we can combine such information with the information described above. We may use this information to provide the products or services you request, to improve and customize our content and services, to contact you about special promotions and new products, to conduct promotional activities, to carry out carry out other purposes that are disclosed to you and to which you consent, and to carry out any other purpose permitted or required by law. You may always choose whether to respond to our promotional communications or not. We also receive personally identifiable information when you apply for a job in the “employment” section of the site. Any such information gathered through that section will be used solely to evaluate whether your background and experience make you a candidate for a career with Viking.
- Information We Collect from Third Parties. We may collect information about you from third party services. For example, we may receive information about you when you interact with our site through various social media, for example, by liking us on Facebook or following us on Twitter. The data we receive is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our website.
Pixel Tags and Cookies
We and our third party associates may automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our website or use our Service. For instance, when you visit our websites, we may send one or more cookies—a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters—to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use our website (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, how frequently you access our website, and other actions you take on our website), and allow us to track your usage of the Service over time. We may collect log file information about your browser or mobile device each time you access the Service. Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on our website, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of our website.
We also use an email delivery and marketing company to send emails. Pixel tags and cookies are used in those email messages and at our website to help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing and how visitors use our site. Pixel tags (sometimes also called “clear GIFs”) are small graphic files, invisible to the human eye, which allow websites or other online services to track users. Viking Cruises and our third-party advertising company use pixel tags in HTML-enabled email to track whether (and when) the recipient opened the message.
We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for our website. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your use of third party applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving our website. When you access our website by or through a mobile device, we may receive or collect and store a unique identification number associated with your device (“Device ID”), mobile carrier, device type and manufacturer, and phone number.
We may use the data collected through cookies, log file, device identifiers, location data and pixel tags to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted advertising; (c) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our website and our email communications; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our website; (e) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (f) otherwise to plan for and enhance our website. The information we collect through these tracking technologies may be linked to the Personal Information you have chosen to share with us when you register.
Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising
We permit third party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our website over time so that they may play or display ads that may be relevant to your interests on our website as well as on other websites or services. Typically, the information is collected through cookies or similar tracking technologies. Although you may not opt out of receiving online advertisements generally, you may control the collection of data on our site used for targeted VikingRiverCruises.com advertising during your visits to other websites. To opt-out of VikingRiverCruises.com data collection for targeted advertising on other sites, click here.
Opting Out of Cookies
You may also “opt out” of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology by managing them on your browser or mobile device. However, if you decide not to accept our cookies, your ability to use some features on our site may be impaired. Please refer to your browser’s or mobile device’s technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools. (To learn more about cookies, clear gifs/web beacons and related technologies and how you may opt-out of some of this tracking, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org). Depending on your mobile device, you may not be able to control tracking technologies through settings. If you have any questions about opting out of the collection of cookies and other tracking/recording tools, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharing Of Your Information
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Your Choices About Your Information” section below.
We may share your personal information with:
- Third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, as needed to carry out their work for us, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements, billing, payments, payment processing, order or gift fulfillment, or providing analytic services;
- Our business associates who offer a service to you jointly with us, or who work with us to provide our Services to you;
- Other third parties where we have your consent; and
- Third parties as required by law, court order, or subpoena or, if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary, to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to enforce our Terms and Conditions, or any other agreement we or another party may have with you, or to protect the security or integrity of our Service; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Viking, our Users, or others.
We may also aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties.
Your Choices About Your Information
How to Control Your Communication Preferences
You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, information about your orders, changes/updates to our products or features of the Service, technical and security notices).
Modifying, correcting, or Deleting Your Information
If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying ,requesting the correction of, or deleting your information, you can contact us directly at email@example.com. Viking Cruises may retain your information for a commercially reasonable time for backup, legal, archival, or audit purposes.
How We Store And Protect Your Information
Storage and Processing
Keeping Your Information Safe
Viking cares about the security of your information, and uses commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technological safeguards to help preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through our website. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, Viking will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
For residents of Canada, personal information we collect may be accessed by persons within our organization, including our affiliates, and our third party service providers, who require such access to carry out the purposes indicated above. Personal information we collect is maintained at [Location – LA and Boston?], United States.
Viking does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register as Users. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without appropriate permission from their parent/legal guardian, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links To Other Web Sites And Services
Our website may integrate with or contain links to other third party sites and services. We are not responsible for the practices employed by third party websites or services embedded in, linked to, or linked from our website and your interactions with any third-party website or service are subject to that third party’s own rules and policies.
Privacy And Change Of Control
In the event Viking goes through a business transition, such as a merger, reorganization, financing, change of control, or acquisition or sale of all or a portion of our business, we may transfer your personal information as part of the transaction.
Your Comments and Questions Are Appreciated