VIKING CRUISES FOUNDER AND CHAIRMAN TORSTEIN HAGEN COMMEMORATES FIVE NORWEGIAN PORTS OF CALL FOR NEW SHIP
Chairman's Tour of Norway Included Meeting with Local Officials and Exploring the Coast of His Native Country
Los Angeles (June 20, 2016) – Viking Ocean Cruises® (www.vikingoceancruises.com) today announced that its founder and chairman, Torstein Hagen, has commemorated the arrival of the company’s new ship, Viking Sea®, in five new Norwegian ports of call. A Norwegian native, Hagen celebrated his family’s heritage during the traditional maritime plaque ceremonies attended by local officials, harbor masters, directors of tourism, and mayors. During his time in Norway, Hagen participated in optional shore excursions available to Viking guests, including visiting the northernmost brewery in Tromsø and eating freshly caught King Crab near Honningsvåg; he also went fishing for lunch in Bodø. This is the first time Viking has sailed into these ports in Northern Norway, along with Brønnøysund and Ålesund, all of which are part of the company’s new Into the Midnight Sun itinerary that cruises between London and Bergen.
During his visit, Hagen and Viking Sea’s captain, Gulleik Svalastog, presented commemorative plaques, guided tours of Viking Sea, and discussed how Viking can help support the tourism industry through its sailings in Norway and its destination-focused approach to cruise itineraries. The participating mayors, who also spoke about their respective tourism initiatives, included: Mayor of Tromsø, Mr. Jarle Aarbakke; Mayor of Nordkapp, Ms. Kristina Sigurdsdottir Hansen; Mayor of Brønnøysund, Mr. Johnny Hanssen; and in Bodø, Mayor Ms. Ida Maria Pinnerod and Port Director, Ingvar Mathisen.
Addressing repeat Viking travelers at a Viking Explorer Society cocktail party Hagen stated, “Sir Richard Branson says space is Virgin territory. I say Scandinavia is Viking territory. No other cruise line can show you this part of the world like Viking can. I have known for years that there is nothing better than Norway in the summer, and I am happy to now be able to share the beauty of my native Norway with you, our Viking guests.”
Christened in May, Viking’s second ship, Viking Sea, was recently awarded the highest-available editor rating of five stars by Cruise Critic, marking the second consecutive five-star rating for the company’s expanding ocean fleet. Classified by Cruise Critic as “small ships,” Viking’s ocean fleet of 930-passenger sister ships are well-suited for Scandinavian and Baltic itineraries – their size allows for privileged access to smaller ports, getting guests closer to their destinations.
Scandinavian design and heritage are central to the Viking brand and are in the details and understated elegance onboard the new ocean ships. Clean lines, woven textiles and light wood evoke the Viking spirit of discovery and connection to the natural world. Features include:
- Explorers’ Lounge – In the two-deck Explorers’ Lounge at the bow of the ship, the décor was inspired by ancient Viking trade routes and navigation methods – imagery of star constellations and astronomical maps are complemented by antique globes, astrolabes and sofas with cozy pelts.
- LivNordic Spa – In keeping with Viking’s Nordic heritage, The Spa onboard is designed with the holistic wellness philosophy of Scandinavia in mind – from the centuries-old tradition of the sauna to a Snow Grotto where snowflakes gently descend from the ceiling through chilled air.
- Wintergarden– Guests looking for serenity will find it in the Wintergarden. In this elegant space under a canopy of Scandinavian-inspired trellised wood, guests can indulge in afternoon tea service.
- Dining Choices – Viking’s ocean ships offer multiple restaurant locations and food choices—including The Chef’s Table, which offers a multi-course tasting menu with wine pairings and a new Scandinavian Bistro menu in its rotation, and Mamsen’s, which serves Norwegian deli-style fare based on the recipes of Hagen’s mother, Ragnhild, otherwise known as “Mamsen.”
- Scandinavian Art – Guests onboard Viking’s ocean ships enjoy an original art collection that showcases a diverse group of Scandinavian artists, many of whom are Norwegian, and a variety of mediums and approaches. The collection is based on the idea of “The Traveler as The Collector,” just as the Vikings once were and other explorers have been. Artists represented in the collection include Edvard Munch, H.M. Queen Sonja of Norway, Jakob Weidemann and many others.
- Viking Exhibition – Located on Deck 2, Viking’s ocean ships feature a Viking Heritage Exhibit that contains artifacts and information about the lives and exploration of early Vikings.
- Onboard Boutique – Redesigned for the launch of Viking Sea, the onboard boutique features a curated selection of Scandinavian products, including clothing from Norwegian brands Helly Hansen, Oleana, and Dale of Norway.
The 15-day Into the Midnight Sun itinerary provides an in-depth exploration, from the northernmost reaches of Norway to the remote outposts of Scotland’s Shetland and Orkney Islands. The itinerary also visits Edinburgh, London and the Hanseatic League city of Bergen. For an up-close look at the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary, watch the video from Viking Ocean Cruises.
For more information, images and b-roll for Viking Ocean Cruises, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Viking Cruises
Viking Cruises offers destination-centric river and ocean cruising designed for experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Featuring onboard cultural enrichment and included shore excursions, Viking’s journeys are competitively priced for genuine value. As the world’s leading river cruise line, since its 1997 inception the company has grown to a fleet of 59 river vessels (in 2016) offering scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China and Southeast Asia. Named Cruise Critic’s “Best New Ocean Ship” of 2015, the sophisticated state-of-the-art Viking Star hosts 930 guests on itineraries in Scandinavia and the Baltic; the Western and Eastern Mediterranean; and the Caribbean and North America. The company’s second ocean ship, Viking Sea, will launch in April 2016; a third ship, Viking Sky, is under construction for delivery in early 2017; and three additional sister ships are on order. In 2015 Viking was rated the highest of all cruise lines in Travel + Leisure’s “World’s Best” Awards after appearing on – and topping – the river cruise rankings multiple times. Viking has also been honored multiple times Condé Nast Traveler’s “Gold List” as well as recognized by the editors of Cruise Critic as “Best River Cruise Line” and “Best River Itineraries,” with the entire Viking Longships® fleet being named “Best New River Ships” in the website’s Editors’ Picks Awards. The travel trade has ranked Viking as the “Best River Cruise Line” by Travel Weekly, Recommend and Travel Agent magazines, “Best Cruise Line for Luxury River Cruises” at the Luxury Travel Advisor Awards of Excellence and as “Best Overall Cruise Line for River Cruising,” “Best New River Cruise Ship” and for the seventh consecutive year, “Best River Cruise Line for Travel Agent Support” in the 2015 TravelAge West’s WAVE Awards. For additional information, contact Viking Cruises at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464) or visit www.vikingcruises.com. To join the Viking Cruises community online, visit www.facebook.com/vikingcruises, www.facebook.com/vikingoceancruises and www.facebook.com/vikingrivercruises.