IT Database Administrator
When it comes to river cruising, Viking River Cruises is the world leader. From Europe to Russia and Ukraine, from Asia to Egypt, we offer cruises that allow you to fully experience the wonders each region has to offer.
Our exciting and innovative IT department is seeking a Database Administrator to join our dedicated team and lead the evolution of our approach to database administration within a high online traffic environment. We offer a creative, fast-paced environment.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinking self-starter with a passion for technical problem solving. Strong candidates will have a solid understanding of the issues surrounding large-volume data and scalability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES(85%) Database Administrator / Development
- Providing strategic direction for database development and management including the overall design of the enterprise wide data/information architecture, including standards, policies and procedures.
- Reducing duplication of efforts by ensuring that all databases with overlapping information are linked to the primary production Database
- Security management and capacity planning; Designing, implementing and maintaining database security roles and procedures for Viking River Cruises
- Managing database infrastructure such as software upgrades and service packs
- Implementing processes and identifying repeatable efficiencies and define solutions that will generate measurable results.
- Leading efforts to maintain the integrity of the Database, including ensuring that the data is accurate
- Creating complex database queries and reports, as needed
- Planning and conducting structured testing of database designs as needed to confirm functionality and performance.
- Preparing and maintaining database documentation
- Maintaining knowledge of developments in the database management field and making recommendations for database enhancements at Viking River Cruises, as needed.
- Optimizing queries and making any necessary changes to table or data structure
- Tuning high performance, high availability databases
- Reviewing and applying schema changes
- Building log shipping, replication and clustering
- Database backup and recovery
- Automation in a distributed database environment
- Data warehousing
- Monitoring of production environment, migration of objects from Dev. to QA to Prod environments
- Developing SSIS packages, Scripting
- Be familiar with SSRS
(10%) Technical Advisory
- Act as a technical resource for Viking River Cruises data and functionality issues.
- Tracking changes using change management process.
(5%) Administrative Duties
- Communicate regularly with the Supervisor, via email and weekly meetings, to coordinate projects.
- Follow through with staff requests and update status of requests in a timely manner.
- Document all projects for ongoing status reports and a summary report.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum 5 years relevant experience in database management and maintenance
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with SQL Server
- Advanced database design and management skills
- 5+ years dedicated DBA experience in a high traffic environment
- Minimum 2+ years SQL Server DBA experience
- Hands on experience with TSQL development: Stored procedure, Triggers, and automation
- High Availability experience
- Power shell scripting
- Scaling large databases with large user apps
- Relational database implementation
About Viking Cruises:
Viking Cruises, the World’s Leading River Cruise Line®, offers scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, China, Southeast Asia and Egypt. Since its 1997 inception, the company has grown to a fleet of more than 60 vessels servicing over 110,000 passengers annually. Viking has been honored multiple times in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards and Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List as well as recognized by the editors of Cruise Critic as Best River Cruise Line. Today Viking continues its rapid growth with its new fleet of ocean vessels, named the #1 Ocean Cruise Line by Travel + Leisure readers in the World’s Best Awards 2016. The opportunities and challenges during this growth period provide an excellent work environment for high-performing individuals with a desire to achieve and excel.
Consideration will only be given to qualified applicants
This position is located in Woodland Hills, California; only local candidates will be considered.
Viking Cruises is an equal opportunity employer.